At Laguna Hills Center for Sleep Apnea, we find that many of our patients are unaware that their silver fillings are comprised of 50% mercury. While patients know that mercury is a toxic substance, they do not often realize that when they drink hot liquid, brush, or grind their teeth, they are actually releasing mercury into their systems.
As a member of the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT), Dr. Abdulla remains up-to-date on recent findings, research, and best practices for oral health. Several recent articles published by the IAOMT demonstrate the prevalence and toxic effects of silver fillings. In one study, researchers found traces of mercury in the livers and kidneys of animals who had silver fillings for just three months. In additional studies, mercury has been found in the hair of fetuses whose mothers had silver fillings during pregnancy. Known to cause depression, memory loss, Alzheimer’s disease, anxiety, and poor sleep, silver fillings have been banned in parts of Europe and Japan.
Dr. Abdulla’s holistic approach to dentistry includes the safe removal of silver fillings using SMART, or the Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique, developed by the IAOMT. As a SMART-certified dentist, she has received specialized training in using the safest techniques for amalgam filling removal. During the procedure, she takes every necessary precaution to avoid contamination. A rubber dam is used to prevent the ingestion of mercury while a large vacuum is placed near the patient’s face to suction any mercury vapor. Our patients are thoroughly draped to protect hair and clothing, and they are provided pure oxygen through an outside air source to avoid mercury inhalation. Dr. Abdulla also uses a chelating rinse to bind any trace metals left behind before replacing the silver filling with either a biocompatible filling, crown, or inlay.
Learn more about our safe amalgam filling removal process here.Back to Posts